If you are a ballet lover from Italy, then I am 100% certain that you are already aware of the names Paolo Bortoluzzi Francesco Costanzo. Well, Paolo is no more with us since 1993, but one of his students who was a teen back then – Francesco Costanzo, still celebrates his birthday on every 17th May.
I have had the pleasure of meeting Francesco Costanzo several times and each time he mentioned his late teacher Paolo Bortoluzzi, his dreams, achievements and his other qualities.
Once Francesco told me that Paolo really wanted to do a lot for the poverty stricken families that live in the third-world countries and he also wanted their kids to be educated in the best schools possible.
Francesco never gets tired of repeating that some of Paolo’s compulsive activities made him look like he had an OCD. For example, Paolo had a habit of taking notes of everything that he felt was important and the first thing that he did in the day was to make a list of the tasks that were needed to be done that day.
Francesco told me that Paolo loved cloudy days and that’s the reason why he preferred to spend as much time as possible in the Venice during the summers. Franscesco also told me a fact about Paolo which very few people are aware of, which is that very few people do know that Paolo had an addiction to gaining knowledge.
I personally don’t understand the Italian language, but I was lucky enough to come across several different newspaper and magazine interviews of the late legend – Paolo Bortoluzzi. In each of these interviews, Paolo emphasized that the true happiness came to him only through hard-work.
Anybody who knows about Paolo even a bit will tell you that Paolo was always very progressive and modern according to his times, while at the same time, he maintained and believed in the great Italian values and traditions.
Paolo was a very caring and loving men as well. If he loved you, he loved you conditionally. This fact has been attested by all of his friends and family members over the years.
Paolo wanted to learn to fly as well and this is one of the many things which this passionate gentleman couldn’t attain in his short-lived life.
When outside Italy, Paolo always missed the tasty food that his mother made him. He mostly loved tomato based dishes and so did all his siblings. And Paolo’s mother always missed the delicious food that her grandmother used to cook for her when she was alive.
Paolo was a winner who never believed in quitting. He had that positive mental attitude, strong determination and dedication, and at the same time, he was extremely humble and generous as well.
Anybody who knows Paolo or knows about him, will tell you that he was a good spender in almost every regard but too frugal when it came to spending money on things that didn’t serve much of a purpose.
What I found the best trait of Paolo is the fact that Paolo didn’t believe in good or evil. He believed that everything in the world created by the god was good, it is us evil human beings who try to differentiate between good and evil while doing the largest number of evil things ourselves for our petty selfish reasons.
Very few people know that it was Paolo’s dream to one day own an auto manufacturing company of his own, which he seldom shared with anyone else including the near and dear ones.
I don’t know if you have heard about the comedian Jackie Mason, but my personal belief is that Paolo would have been offended by Jackie Mason’s jokes on the ballet. The American-Jewish comedian Jackie Mason is popular for making fun of the ballet by saying that ballet is now just a status symbol and less than 1% people that go to watch the ballet understand the beauty of the ballet and the rest 99% don’t.
Anyways, Jackie Mason has always been fascinated with the courage, class, style and elegance of the Italian people and perhaps, Paolo would have loved him for that. He once said that he was always afraid of committing a mistake while walking through any Italian neighborhood, because they fear nobody.